That's funny, I figured I wasn't the only one that's considered doing something for this. I personally currently use an Excel workbook that I'm reasonably happy with. However, I've always wished for something similar on my mobile devices and I've just never done anything about it.
I think that a simple web-based app would be sufficient, at least initially to support all clients including PC, iPhone/iPad, Android phone/tablet, and that'd probably handle 95% of the interested community users. Doing native apps would be a bit more effort and maintenance, which might be out of scope for the initial get-go.
A basic fragrance entry and ranking app should be obscenely easy to do and make available. Of course, like all info-centric systems, the complexity comes from the unstated features and requirements.
So, to that end what would the other major features be? Something along the lines of:
- Scalable presentation layer that it works well across large and small-format devices (PC to phones)
- Fragrance entry and various metadata
- Ranking system by category or other criteria
- Personal notations per fragrance
- Shopping list, including forecasted spending and timelines
- Buying history, including source and price
That's what comes to my mind as I look at what I've done in Excel.